Small village school.

I am riding along in a bus with the horn blasting about every 20 seconds along the road from Sien Riep to Phenom Penh, Cambodia.  Our team crossed the border the other day and stayed there in Poipet with an amazing family.  Our team worked with another YWAM team of 6 (all Cambodians) and we taught English in a small one room school house.  The village was dirty and when it rains hard, it’s impossible to really get in.  Fortunately, the day we spent there, it was somewhat dry.  The temperature and humidity are high keeping Southeast Asia muggy and hot.  We try to keep the mosquito repellent on because during the rainy season, Denge Fever is rampant and all it takes is one bite from the right one to get it.  A few people from our school last year got it.  You spend about a week in the hospital unconscious in a bed.

The village was full of transients, meaning people who move in and out so thre are not really long term residents.  We split up into groups of 2 going from one house to another praying for people and inviting children to the English lessons.  The mentality is that if you can help the children and show them Jesus, the village will change for the better.  After the English classes, Yuka, the leader of the other team, asked us if we would pray for a girl who they said was demon possessed.  They Sara teaches English to the kids.called her “Nitta”, said she was 26 years old, and had been like that since she was a little girl.  Unfortunately, lately, she had been getting worse.  She would get up in the middle of the night and go into town and create problems and not come back for days at a time.  Her mother had chained her to the floor with a padlock to keep her in the house.  The other team had been praying for her day after day and she had been getting better.  BUT, between prayer times, her mother had been taking her to a witch doctor to try to “cure” her.  Of course, that’s counterproductive.  It’s like drinking to cure a hangover, just feeding the monster.

The little hose was raised up off the ground on stilts to keep it out of the water. I could feel right away that this was the one.  The room was vacant with nothing but a long pillow on the ground.  She sat there on the floor with a chain padlocked around her ankle and to the ground.  She slapped her hands over her face to cover her eyes and peeked out between her fingers at us.  Yuka just said matter-a-factly, “Ok, let’s pray for her, but pray with your eyes open so you can react if anything happens.”  Great, so one of the girls touched her back and the girl slapped her hand away. No big deal I guess. We just

Yuka (left), Perliteo, and I.

dismissed that and kept at it for a couple minutes while she sat there rocking back and forth chattering away in Thai and English.  Then Yuka said, “Ok, we’re done.”  Then we stood up and left.  He encouraged us that when they had first started praying for her, she would spit at them and scream and yell.  At that point, Yuka had been speaking with some presence in her and asked, “How many are here?”  The answer, “Thirty.”  Creepy.  I never consider myself an exorcist by any means but figure I would always pray if asked.  What exactly happens in those moments is hard to tell and never like the movies, but I just try to be obedient.  One thing that’s important to keep in mind is that most of us swatted at Jesus when he first came to us and sometimes still do.  This girl is no different.

It’s nice to be in Cambodia.  I have never been before.  We visited the ancient Angkor Temple area yesterday as a team trying

Ancient face at Angkor Temple, Cambodia

to include as many “points of interest” as we can between ministry times.  This country is beautiful and I try to put pictures onto Facebook from time to time but this morning, it clumped about 45 new pics at the bottom of an old album, which was nothing short of infuriating.  The joys of FB, which is another topic all together. Why I criticize it and still go on it is beyond me…. I got a haircut and a shave (with a straight razor) for $2..